Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Purposes of Use
The Sterne Library's classroom, SL 174, is under the administrative direction of the UAB Libraries. The room is designed primarily for instruction by the library faculty for library instruction classes and workshops and for use by the University Writing Center (UWC). Library and UWC classes always have first priority for use of this room.
All reservations are subject to cancellation based on priority needs.
Because library-related instruction peaks at the beginning of each semester, use of SL 174 is reserved for library use and library-sponsored instruction only between 8 am and 6 pm during the months of September–November and January–March.
SL 174 may be used for the following purposes:
- University classes scheduled for library instruction taught by a librarian;
- High school, middle school, or other outreach classes taught by a librarian;
- Workshops, training sessions, meetings, or professional development sessions for UAB faculty and staff or the University Writing Center;
- Meetings of official UAB student organizations with approval of the organization's faculty advisor;
- Use as a collaborative study space to support group study during final exams; or
- Other uses at the discretion of the Chair of Reference and/or the Library Dean.
Restrictions on Use
Due to high demand, SL 174 may not be scheduled:
- For regular or recurring meetings, including recurring UAB class meetings;
- For any purpose when the library is closed;
- As an "open lab" or a UAB class without the faculty member or course instructor present;
- For instruction, training, or workshops for community users or the general public without the approval of the Chair of Reference Services or the Library Dean; or
- For personal or commercial use by UAB faculty, staff, students, or community users.
Guidelines for Use
- Reservations are accepted at least 48 hours, but no more than 30 days, in advance of the requested meeting, and the reservation request must be received via the online Sterne Library Room Reservation Form.
- The room may not be reserved for more than a 4-hour period. Exceptions may be made at the discretion of the Chair of Reference and/or the Library Dean.
- Student groups must include the name of and contact email for their faculty sponsor(s) when making room reservations. Faculty sponsors may be copied on room reservation confirmation and cancellation emails.
- In order to keep the room available for multiple purposes and organizations, each organization is limited to 4 reservations per semester.
- Groups are expected to arrive on time for all reservations. Failure to arrive within fifteen (15) minutes after the reservation start time will result in cancellation of the reservation and may lead to denial and/or cancellation of future reservations.
- Food and drinks are permitted in the classroom. Groups are responsible for removal of refreshments and room cleanup at the end of the meeting.
- Room cancellations must be received at least forty-eight (48) hours before the scheduled event. Cancellation requests should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Repeated failure to arrive on time or at all (no-shows) for reservations may result in cancellation or denial of future room reservations.