Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Importing PubMed Citations
Moving citations from the PubMed database into your EndNote Online library involves 3 steps: 1) finding the citations you want in PubMed, 2) saving those citations to your computer as a file, 3) importing that file of citations into your EndNote Online account.
This process is explained in greater detail below.
1) In PubMed, check the boxes next to the citations you want to store in EndNote Online
2) In the Send to drop-down menu select Citation manager; click Create File
3) Save the file (citations.nbib) to your computer. Make sure you know where the file is being saved because you will need to navigate to that location in the next couple of steps.
4) Open your EndNote Online account and select the Collect tab and then Import References from the sub-menu
5) On the Import References page:
- Next to File, click the Browse button and navigate to the file with your saved PubMed citations (Note: Unless you renamed the file, it is called citations.nbib)
- Next to Filter, select PubMed (NLM) (Note: If you do not see PubMed (NLM) as an option, click Customize this list, select PubMed (NLM) from the complete list of filters, and click Copy to Favoites. You should then see PubMed as an option in the Filter drop-down menu to the left.)
- Next to To, select an EndNote Online group into which you would like these new citations to go. If you don't want them in a group, you can just select Unfiled. If you want to create a new group, select New group.
- Click Import