Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What is Zotero for Firefox?
Choose Zotero for Firefox if:
- You use the Firefox browser
- You prefer to have Zotero as a pane inside your browser instead of a separate window
Zotero for Firefox runs as a plugin for the Firefox web browser, not as a separate program.
The same version of Zotero for Firefox works on any computer that runs Firefox; there are no separate Windows and Mac versions.
Two Versions of Zotero
Read about each choice in the left and right sidebars on this page Your choice may depend on the browser you use. Installation instructions are on this page or watch the videos below
- If you're using Firefox, the video below shows how to install it.
- If you're using Safari or Chrome as your browser, Zotero offers a version called Zotero Standalone that works with those browsers.
You can install both Zotero Standalone and Zotero for Firefox and use both on the same computer.
Install Zotero for Firefox
Install Zotero Standalone
What is Zotero Standalone?
Choose Zotero Standalone if:
- You prefer Safari or Chrome to Firefox
- You prefer to run Zotero in its own window instead of in the browser
Zotero Standalone (unlike Zotero for Firefox) runs as a separate program instead of part of your web browser.
It works with Firefox, Chrome and Safari.
Download and install Zotero Standalone just as you would any other program. You will also need to install the Connectors to allow your browser to save items to your Zotero library.