- If it’s missing, skip it.
- 3+ authors = et al.
- Use the DOI if possible (DOI = Digital Object Identifier)
- Don’t use the http: in addresses.
- Remember the p. or pp.
- If a scholarly journal has a month or season, put that in.
- Use the in titles (ex: The New York Times rather than New York Times)
- Put the date in day mo., year order.
- Don’t use the date of access (the day you look at a website) unless your professor tells you to.
Your professor has the final say in your citations! If your professor wants something in the citation (such as the date of access), do it! That is the person grading you.