Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
EndNote Capture Reference
- is a toolbar bookmark in most browsers
- captures bibliographic information from websites, e-journal articles, e-book chapters, etc.
- allows you to import website-based citation information into your EndNote library
Imported references may need some editing.
Setting Up Capture Reference
The Capture Reference toolbar bookmark works from within your EndNote Online account. If you have not created an EndNote Online account, follow the instructions in the box on the right. Then go to www.myendnoteweb.com and log into your account. To install Capture Reference:
- Click on the Download Installers link at the bottom of any page in EndNote Online.
- Place your cursor over the gray Capture Reference icon.
- Click and drag the icon up to your browser toolbar.
- Repeat this procedure for each browser you use.
Using Capture Reference
From the web page you want to cite,
- Click the Capture References bookmarklet button.
- Complete or modify any of the reference fields. Be sure to choose the correct Reference Type at the top.
- Click the Save to button and select EndNote. (Optional, scroll down and choose a specific group from your library.)
These websites work well with Capture Reference.
Starting with version X6, EndNote offers the ability to sync your library to an EndNote Online account and is free with EndNote. You must have an EndNote Online account before installing the Capture Reference bookmarklet. Learn more about the synching feature on the Sync with EndNote Online page of this guide.
Watch the first 3 minutes of the video below to see how to set up your EndNote Online account.
Entries captured from webpages may need to be edited before saving.
Example: Government Documents
Consider filling out required optional fields, if empty, before saving.
Example: Journal Article Citation
These may need a little tweaking. Some can also be imported from the publisher's page.