EndNote can be configured to find full-text articles for which you have access through library subscriptions and/or that are freely available on the Internet. When EndNote locates a copy of an article, it automatically downloads and attaches the PDF to the corresponding EndNote record.
To get the most out of this feature, you will first need to change a preference in EndNote. Below are instructions on how to do this.
1) In EndNote, go to Edit > Preferences (or if you're using a Mac, EndNote > Preferences).
2) On the left side of the EndNote Preferences box, click on Find Full Text. Make sure all four of the boxes are checked.
In the OpenURL Path field insert:
In the Authenticate with (URL) field insert:
[new proxy effective January 2023]
[old proxy that will be discontinued effective May 2023]
3) Click OK or Save.
Now everything should be configured to optimize the use of EndNote's Find Full Text feature.
Before telling EndNote to find and import batches of PDF articles into your EndNote library, please make sure you have read this Acceptable Use FAQ.
1) In an EndNote library, highlight all of the references for which you would like EndNote to locate the full-text.
2) Click on the find full text button or References > Find Full Text > Find Full Text.
3) You may be prompted for authentication; if so, enter your BlazerID and password and click Login.
You’ll then get a screen like this:
4) Click Continue in the bottom right.
5) Click OK to the copyright and usage notice. EndNote will then begin searching for PDFs of the selected references.
When EndNote has completed the search, you will see a count on the left side of how many full text articles EndNote was able to retrieve. In the reference list, there will be a paperclip icon next to the references for which EndNote was able to find PDFs.
6) To access a PDF of an article, highlight the particular reference in your library and click the tab with the PDF icon in the PDF Viewer. (May be in a different location depending on your library's layout setting.) If you wish to view the PDF in a new, larger window, click the icon in the top left of that frame.
You can also double-click a reference in your library and scroll down to the File Attachments field. Double-click PDF file to open it.