If you link your EndNote Online account with your desktop EndNote library, the two libraries will mirror each other exactly.
Before you enable the sync feature in EndNote X7, it is very important to back up your existing EndNote library in case you encounter any issues during the sync process. To do this, go to File > Compressed Library (.enxl) in EndNote.
Other important details to note before using this feature:
- For your first sync, all references in both EndNote and EndNote Online will be moved in both directions. Therefore, if any references existed in both locations, you will have to delete duplicates.
- EndNote Online currently has no way to handle group sets. Keep this in mind as you name your groups.
- Your EndNote Online account can only sync with one EndNote library per device, so it is best to have only one EndNote library that you organize by filing your references into groups.
- If you delete references from one location of your library (EndNote or EndNote Online), this will delete those references from the other location during the next sync.
- Your entire library will be synced (attachments and citation information) until you reach the attachment limit.
- If you sync to a second desktop computer, all groups will appear in a group set called Unfiled Groups. You will have to re-create any group sets you have. For all subsequent syncs, the references should sync to the correct group (instead of Unfiled Groups).